May 23, 2005

Generation War

Lucas says like and dislike of the prequels falls along an age divide:

"I really don't pay too much attention how people like one chapter or another chapter," Lucas said with a shrug. "We have discovered in the last few years, and it becomes more apparent all the time, that we have two fan bases. One is over 25, and one is under 25. The over-25 fan base is loyal to the first three films."

Lucas added that he thinks that the reason so much has been made about audiences not liking Episodes I and II is because the fans who are over 25 are "actually in their 30s and 40s now. They are in control of the media. They are in control of the Web. So mostly what you're hearing from are people over 25 years old. The films that those people don't like, which is the first two [Episodes I and II], actually, are very fanatically adored by the under-25-years-old [fans]. And if you get on the Web, and you listen to these conversations, they are always at each other's throats. The devotion for each group is equal. I never even paid much attention to it until about a year ago. I am curious to see what happens in about 10 years, when that other group starts to get their voice."

To be honest, I've noticed something of an age gap as well, though I think it breaks slightly older.

Posted by Ithildin at May 23, 2005 5:49 PM | PROCURE FINE OLD WORLD ABSINTHE

I loved it. I was a little bit dissapointed initially, but, as a huge long time fan (seen everyone on opening day), I kind of nitpicked it a bit. But, after getting out of the movie, it started to make more and more sense, and seem better and better.

I have since read the book, and plan on going again Thursday. And maybe a 3rd time.

I think what the critics have missed is that Ep 1 and 2 set the tone for Sith. To understand Anakins love of Padme, and his fear of losing her and those around him, plus how seductive the Dark Side is. I initially thought it was just too easy, him converting, but it made sense after I got out of the movie.

Was it the best? Nope. A New Hope still is my favorite. But, when I divorce myself from the expectations from IV, V, and VI, I really love it.

See, I was going to write my own review after seeing it again, no need now :)

Posted by: William Teach at May 23, 2005 6:56 PM

BTW, I hope you don't mind if I steal my comment for when I write the review (eventually) on my blog, after I see it thurs. It's probably a little more heartfelt then if I sit down and analyze it.

Posted by: William Teach at May 23, 2005 7:10 PM

I don't think you can steal your own comment, so go for it :)

Actually, him turning the dark side was the one thing I didn't have a quibble with. Made sense to me.

Posted by: Ith at May 23, 2005 7:12 PM

actually, I think the age divide is right around 30-32. My husband's brother was among the youngest to see SW in the theater and remember it. My husband has been surrounded by SW since as early as he can remember. I'm 28 and I'm a fanatic, but the first one I saw in the theatre was ROTJ.... Nerds and my older friends fit in one group. Younger friends and non-geeks go in the other.

Posted by: caltechgirl at May 23, 2005 7:41 PM

Yeah, I think it's closer to that as well.

Posted by: Ith at May 23, 2005 8:23 PM

This makes sense to me. I'm in the younger-than-30 set, and I've got no deep emotional attachment to Episodes IV, V and VI whatsoever. They didn't define movie-watching for me and my generation. I didn't stand outside for hours hoping to get into the theater by the time it closed. Like CTG, RotJ was the first one I'd ever seen, but this was when the movies were released in the 90's. In my opinion, some of the special effects haven't aged well, but they're better than, say, The Never-Ending Story. ;)

When it comes to the older movies, I like the ewoks. They're cute.

/ducks, runs away AND revokes Geek License

Posted by: Princess Jami at May 24, 2005 9:06 AM

Don't have to run from me. I liked the Ewoks!

Posted by: Ith at May 24, 2005 9:21 AM

Yes, there's an age divide. But it only cuts one way. I don't perceive that those who are too young to have known the original movies in their heyday treat Episodes I-III as same kind of cinema-defining (or even life-defining) phenomenon experience as we did IV-VI. And I say that as someone who was born in 1976: I mean, I don't remember seeing the first movie in the theater and VERY vaguely remember that with ESB. But Star Wars was still a HUGE part of my childhood.

Posted by: Dave J at May 24, 2005 9:48 AM

Dave, so you're about the same age as Nin then. She keeps pointing out she was 2 when Star Wars was released :) But she also has told me how much the films were a part of her childhood.

Posted by: Ith at May 24, 2005 9:52 AM