September 6, 2004

Amusing

I have a commenter (who may actually be Susan Estrich!) (j/k) who thinks pasting excerpts of Kitty Kelly's (who knew Kitty Kelly was still pumping out "biographys") (I hadn't heard about her since the Sinatra book she did) new book in my comments is somehow going to make some sort of difference to me.

One, it's only what Susan Estrich promised last week, two, all this stuff was in the press (been there, done that, bought the t-shirt) during the last election (who knew you could be paid to write a book about things that have been written and reported on five years ago?) (I need a job like that!), and three, I'm supposed to care that Laura Bush smoked pot in her youth? Practically everyone I know in RL has smoked pot (and a good portion have used stronger drugs than that) (is it only because I live in CA?) (is pot use unusual in other parts of the country?), I'm the oddball in my circle of friends and acquaintances that I haven't. If we kicked everyone out of the government that has used drugs in the past, D.C. would be a ghost town.

It must be a symptom of Dem desperation. Amusing, yet kinda sad, all at the same time.

[yawn] wake me up when the Dems actually have something to say that matters.

Posted by Ithildin at September 6, 2004 2:38 PM | PROCURE FINE OLD WORLD ABSINTHE

Guess that makes me an oddball too.... Never got closer to weed than secondhand smoke, and that made me woozy, so had no desire to try it firsthand!

Here's to the oddballs!

Posted by: CrankyBeach at September 6, 2004 4:25 PM

I smoked one joint in Amsterdam: honestly, I didn't like it. Shhhh...don't tell the "cool people." ;-)

Posted by: Dave J at September 6, 2004 5:08 PM

Kerry says the Iraq war is wrong, everything going wrong, plese read about what is right in Iraq

Posted by: Pat in NC at September 6, 2004 6:42 PM

But the excerpt is mainly about George W Bush's cocaine habit.

If you're focusing on Laura and pot, you're missing the point, I think.

If it's important to critically examine exactly how Kerry took shrapnel in Vietnam, isn't it important to examine what George W was doing at the time?

W hasn't really explained his cocaine use during his guard service.

Maybe that's why he missed the physical?

Posted by: SillyRabbit at September 6, 2004 9:32 PM

As long as we're engaging in base speculation, what are the odds that Kerry never did cocaine, crank or whatever when he was doing the bachelor scene with the starlets and the motorcycle? What are the odds that there are no witnesses to Kerry "sparking a fatty" in 'Nam. Kerry went through a number of girlfriends between his rich wives, what are the odds that he didn't have to pop for an abortion or two, and does that explain his incoherent position on the subject? As Estrich says "troll a million dollars and there'll be some takers."

I personally think that all of this is off-limits. I don't, though, think that Kerry gets a pass on these issues if the Dems go that route just because he represents the party of "it's ok to use abortion as a form of birth control." On the other hand, I do think that Kerry's anti-veteran smears in the 1970's do raise a legitimate question about whether he has the moral authority to serve as the CinC and, in that regard, whether he "gamed" the medal awarding system is legitimate.

Posted by: Peter Sean Bradley at September 6, 2004 10:19 PM

Folks, please don't paste long URLs into the comments. Please make them hyperlinks. Thanks.

Baldilocks covers the physical thing amongst other topics here.

And I agree with Peter Sean.

Posted by: Ith at September 7, 2004 8:33 AM