May 20, 2004

Angel Goes Bye Bye

I hated the ending! Okay, it's likely we'll get at least a couple TV movies, but if we don't, I made up my own ending: Buffy and Willow and a bunch of Slayerettes show up to help them do battle with the baddies.

They killed off Wesley!! Not happy with that. Not happy at all, precious. Though I have to admit that Wesley had died inside, had seen and done too much. So I suppose his death -- since they seem to have to kill someone off all the time -- made the most sense.

But other than that, good ep!

* Spike reciting his poetry at the biker bar was excellent.

* Connor showing up with the comment, "You stop by for coffee and the world isn't ending?".

* Finding out for sure that Connor knew Angel was his father and being at peace with Angel's choice.

* Poisoning the Duke's "bottle".

* Bringing back Anne for that scene.

* "One of you has to betray me." Spike raises his hand.

Question: Did Angel tell Loren to kill Lindsay? I wasn't sure if he did, or if Loren decided to on his own, knowing Lindsay's future from when he heard him sing.

Discuss!

(and the category for this post is quite apropos)

Update: Jonah Goldberg comments in The Corner, "Am I wrong or did the final scene seem perfectly set-up for the calvalry-like arrival of the slayer army?". GMTA and all that. (follow the link to read his entire review)

More From The Corner: Jonah is posting some email he's gotten on the subject, and I had to share this bit, " Why does everyone have this thing about dragons? That is one spot that really upset me, Angel's closing line about how he wanted to kill the dragon. Just because you are big, winged, breathe fire, and have a taste for virgins, everybody is on your case. There is way too much anti-dragon bias in television, the movies and fiction in general."

Yeah! Dragons rule, and I'm tired of all this bigotry!

More: A Thank You note from LW.

And one last: WB has a lovely "Goodbye" poster for download.

I lied, one more: Jim Treacher runs down some favourite final moments, and includes one I forgot to put on my initial list -- Angel signing away the Shashu Prophecy. That one really got me.

Thanks to Andrea for the link.

Posted by Ithildin at May 20, 2004 8:53 AM | PROCURE FINE OLD WORLD ABSINTHE

My read was that Angel told Loren to kill Lindsay and that this was one bit of dirty business too far.

Wesley was the only character on the show I still liked (Fred having been pseudo-bumped off) but his death did not bother me too much. We have spikes example for the persistance of these people.

So, where is my Watcher series?

Posted by: Ghost of a flea at May 20, 2004 9:32 AM

I agree with Ghost. Angel definitely had Loren kill Lindsay, there was no other reason for him to be there. And Ghost is right in that Loren knew it had to be done because he had read Lindsay but it was just to much for him and hanging around Angel any more would just bring up more of these situations.

Brass.

Posted by: Brass at May 20, 2004 10:03 AM

I disagree: I think Loren did it on his own. It is quite ambiguous, but that is all the more reason I suspect that it was not an order. I loved the ending, and agree that it would be great to have the Slayer army show up a la John Wayne. Jane Wayne?

Loved the poetry part, finally Spike gets some respect for his verse, and from what a crowd. Loved the line "Do you want me to lie to you now? Yes, please." So much good stuff in it, and lots of doors left open.

Not going to touch the dragon lines *EG*

Posted by: Laughing Wolf at May 20, 2004 11:45 AM

Biggest Angel and Buffy fan in all of Denmark here. We're like a season behind on eps... I'm not sure whether to be heartbroken or excited by this entry. My impatiance will devour me before I get to see this eppy for sure.

Posted by: Cobby at May 20, 2004 3:36 PM

Loved it, and it was much better than the Buffy finale. Much as I hate to admit it, Illyria grew on me (once she stopped being Data, tht is.)

They killed Wesley! and Gunn didn't look too good, either. Sort of as payback for past sins? glad Joss remembered that there are consequences.

Mmm, dragons! Maybe Jonah saw that (dratted memory) movie with Sean Connery's voice? Oh well, let George do it.

I'm voting that Lorne acted on his own. It doesn't seem like an Angel thing to back-stab like that, but Lorne doesn't have a soul (as opposed to soul) and has shown a ruthless streak before. At least Harmony got a good reference.

Posted by: Debbye at May 20, 2004 4:19 PM

When I used to have two blogs and this one was a news/group blog, my personal blog was called "The Dragon's Muse" and well, you can see what the domain is named! :)

My first impression was that Loren acted on his own. It seemd out of charcter for Angel to 'order a hit' as it were.

Cobby, you're in Denmark? Nifty! Umm, I was both heartbroken and excited, so.... :)

I think Amy Acker did an amazing job. From Fred to Illyria was quite a switch.

And not related to anything, but Christian Kane is delicious :) And boy can he sing. (which reminds me, I need to buy one of his CDs)

Posted by: Ith at May 20, 2004 5:33 PM

Lorne: "It doesn't matter what I think. This was all Angel's plan." Then three to the chest. Lorne was just the hitman.

Posted by: Jim Treacher at May 20, 2004 7:37 PM

I think Lorne did off Lindsey on Angel's order, because of the bit where Angel pulls Eve out of Wolfram & Hart while saying, 'He's not coming.'

That, and Lorne's bit before shooting Lindsey...

Posted by: Ninjababe at May 20, 2004 7:56 PM

You're all right. I got that after watching the tape. Quite a change from Lorne as he was when the character was first introduced.

RIP, Wesley.