October 20, 2003

Get Over It

Being called a "chick" is a slur??? Not only that, but a slur worth suing over? Get a grip, dudettes! There's lots of words to get offended over, but "chick"?

Some women on campus said use of the word “chick” constitutes a slur and demanded that the paper’s faculty adviser be fired. They also said they planned to file a gender harassment complaint against the school.

Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick! Chick!Chick! Chick! Chick!

Posted by Ithildin at October 20, 2003 7:04 AM | PROCURE FINE OLD WORLD ABSINTHE

VERY much agree. I'm proud to be a chick. But so glad I'm not a Dixie Chick! HAHA! :)

Posted by: Lawren at October 20, 2003 11:28 AM

There was a time, and there were some gals, to whom "chick" was non-PC, but it was never everyone.

By the same token, it was long considered non-PC to refer to women as girls, but that has become so common and accepted as to be moot. Kind of like refering to a group of any gender mix as "guys." Who cares!

Posted by: Jay Solo at October 20, 2003 12:08 PM

What Lawren said.

Posted by: Cynthia at October 20, 2003 1:09 PM

No, "chick" is not offensive. Now, "goat," that's offensive!

Posted by: Francis W. Porretto at October 20, 2003 2:14 PM

Chicks is not offensive. Chick to me means a very cool gal. I like it when people call me a chick. *rolls eyes* People are way too sue-happy these days.

Posted by: Gennie at October 20, 2003 6:35 PM

Some people need to lighten up. Life's too short to worry about being called a chick. Sheesh.

Posted by: jen at October 20, 2003 6:49 PM

they better not try and stop me from calling my friends "girlies"

Posted by: irishlass at October 20, 2003 9:34 PM

Guess 'broads' is waaaay out, huh?

Posted by: Mark Noonan at October 21, 2003 1:14 AM

They are just words. Big friggin' deal. People are too hung up on what LOOKS and SOUNDS right to be doing what IS right. Makes me crazy.

I don't even get all riled up over the BIG C WORD either.

Once you come up with a snappy rejoinder, even the C_ _ T word has no sting.

What is my comeback? It's JUICY c_ _t to YOU.

MWHEH.

Posted by: margi at October 21, 2003 2:29 AM

Goddamn loonies. Trust people who have never had jobs to be the first to demand that other people be fired.

Posted by: Steve H. at October 21, 2003 6:29 AM

Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw:
"I like feminists. I think they're cute."

I rank PC bullpucky like this up there with PETA and politics.

Posted by: LeeAnn at October 21, 2003 8:17 AM

Mark, "broads" can be okay I'd say. I think it would depend on the context.

You know, you can never tell what posts will get comments. Wasn't expecting this one to at all. So thanks to all you commenters and trackbackers.

Posted by: Ith at October 21, 2003 8:21 AM

Suing over "Chick" ?

Then they'll probably torch PETA for this.

Posted by: Stephen at October 21, 2003 10:04 AM

Feh. You chicks.

You're so flighty!

Posted by: Dean Esmay at October 21, 2003 11:09 AM

Now, Dean, chicks and broads are one thing, but if you're going to start with punning...

[gets out Nerf Claymore]

Posted by: Ith at October 21, 2003 11:19 AM

She's a good looking chick! He's a good looking dude. He's a hunk. She's a babe, He's a babe. What in the world is wrong with these words? Chick is a form of flattery. And so are the other words above I used unless some person using them is doing something absolutely stupid like wasting a lawyers time, court time, a judges time for a law suit. Get over your self stupid people, there are little children out there that have needs to be adopted and millions of other cases that need a judge. If you are called a chick, smile. Go to a farm and look at a baby chick, they are adorable. Consider yourself adorable!!

Posted by: Janelle at October 21, 2003 7:51 PM

What's wrong with "chick?" And does it also apply to "chiquita?"

Broad on the other hand, has got to go. it implies a certain.... wideness.

Posted by: tanya at October 22, 2003 6:25 AM

There's a very popular country song right now, "Because the Chicks Dig It".

Posted by: Ith at October 22, 2003 8:58 AM

Impressive number of comments! Is it a record yet for you?

Posted by: Jay Solo at October 22, 2003 2:15 PM

Jay, I'm not sure. I don't keep very good track of such things :)

Posted by: Ith at October 22, 2003 3:29 PM

Well it *Did* happen out in California.... Which reminds me of a saying I heard in the mid-west..

California is a lot like rasin bran, when you take out all the fruit and nuts all you're left with are the flakes. Mad about being called 'chicks' how cute...

Posted by: dave at October 23, 2003 12:37 PM